Pauline Exhibition

Even today, the presence of the monks of the sole Catholic male monastic order of Hungarian founding is palpable in the building. Since the November 2010 reopening of the reconstructed building a permanent exhibition displays the history of the Pauline Order, made possible by the the cooperation and material contribution of the resurrected order, which is once again active in Hungary. Among other interesting features, visitors can view a modern copy of the icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary, known as the Black Madonna of Czestochowa. The much revered painting on display in the Monastery arrived from the center of the Pauline Order – located today in the southern city of Pécs –, and a much older, medieval version of this image is found just on the other side of the wall, hanging in the middle of the sanctuary of the parish church. Below are some highlights from the origins and history of the Pauline eremitic order:

The history of the Pauline Order

249

During the persecution of Christians under the rule of Roman Emperor Decius, Paul of Thebes at the age of 21 flees to the Egyptian desert and lives the rest of his life there in solitude.

341

St. Paul the First Hermit dies at the age of 113.

356

Death of Hermit St. Anthony.

1246

Blessed Eusebius, the canon in the town of Esztergom resigns from his position, distributes his wealth, and starts eremitic life in the Triple Cave in the Pilis mountains.

1250

Having received a vision, Blessed Eusebius unites the hermits scattered in the Pilis mountains and a monastery building is erected in Klastrompuszta – a remote part of the range. The monks live according to the rules of St. Augustine.

1262

Accompanied by St. Thomas Aquinas, Blessed Eusebius visits Rome to seek Pope Urban IV’s approval of the formation of the Pauline Order.

1270

Death of Blessed Eusebius.

1309

Papal legate Gentilis is visited by monks in Buda to seek permission to live according to the rules of St. Augustine and to create their own constitution. Thus the Ordo Sancti Pauli Primi Eremitae was formed, headquartered in Budaszentlőrinc.

1382

With the support of King Louis the Great, Ladislaus, Prince of Opulia establishes a Pauline monastery next to Częstochowa on top of Jasna Góra, which becomes occupied by 16 Pauline monks from Nosztra (today Márianosztra).

1482

The town of Sopron founds a monastery for the local Pauline monks in today’s Bánfalva. They occupy the monastery until the Order’s dissolution by monarchic decree in 1786.

1680-1780

The heyday of the Order. Spreading beyond the monasteries that survived Ottoman invasion, the order settles into larger towns as well. One of their most significant monastery and church was built in the town of Pest in this period.

1786

Emperor Joseph II decrees the dissolution of the Pauline Order.

1930s

The Pauline Order is resurrected in the southern town of Pécs, and in the capital city of Budapest as well, in the so called Rock Church overlooking the Danube, and a monastery adjacent to it.

After 1950

The functioning of the order is banned by communist regime.

After 1990

The Paulines resurrect their order near the town of Pécs, and today the Pauline Order is also present in the Rock Church of Budapest, in Márianosztra (in the Börzsöny Mountain), and in Pálosszentkút (near the town of Kiskunfélegyháza.