Monastery History

Acquaint yourself with the brief history of the Pauline Monastery from its beginning in 1482.

1482

The pilgrimage site consecrated to St. Wolfgang – located atop a cliff rising above the village of Wandorf – is taken into custody by Pauline monks. The same year the town of Sopron founds a monastery for them.

1532

The military advance of the Ottomans toward Vienna forces the monks to vacate the property on several occasions. In this year most of the building perishes in a wave of assault.

After 1610

Rebuilding of the Monastery commences, and with it comes one of the most significant developments: the veneration of the so-called Black Madonna icon placed in the sanctuary – a medieval relic of the veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

1644

The Pauline general chapter is held in the building, approximately coinciding with the completion of the rebuilding effort.

1668

The 2-story structure jutting out of the North-East corner of the square shaped mass of the monastery is added. On the ground floor it houses the Refectory (dining hall), above it is the Novitiate (college lecture hall).

1719

A donation of a young novice sponsors the work to adorn the walls and ceiling of the Refectory with frescos illustrating the history of the Pauline Order.

1891

After about a century of civilian use, a religious order returns. Nuns of the Carmelite Order followed very strict rules of segregation from the outside. This was the first time they settled in Hungary.

1950

The Carmelites are forced to move out by the newly formed communist regime, and under county administration its use is reassigned as a live-in community for elderly patients.

After 1990

The building is returned to the Carmelite Order as part of the general post-change trend of restoration of communized property titles, but they soon realize that a rebuilding of monastic life in it is not feasible.

2004

Founder of KOGART, Mr. Gábor Kovács purchases the building from the Carmelites.

2009-2010

Nistema Ltd., a construction firm owned by Mr. Kovács acts as general contractor on the complete reconstruction of the building complex, financed in part by EEA Grants.

2010 November

The not-for-profit retreat, education and meditation center opens to visitors.